Thursday, August 23, 2012

Croc Wrangling 101

Croc Wrangling at the Zoo

Taking learning to a whole new level!


When working with large reptiles, there comes a time when you might need to restrain the animal for inspection purposes, whether for medical reasons or transportation to a new enclosure. I learned from the best croc wranglers in the US, Jarrod and Bart, and had the opportunity to help restrain a 6.5-foot Nile crocodile.

Prepared to safely transport a 6.5-foot Nile crocodile!
After jumping on the croc, the first order of business is to secure the jaws with electric tape. Once that's accomplished, the tough part begins. (Notice that in many of the photos, the large 12' saltwater crocodile in the enclosure right next to me has her mouth open!)

The croc is so powerful I have to use my entire body weight to control it
"I think I got it."

With a simple turn of its neck, the croc easily escapes my grip.  Thank goodness for the tape.

To regain some semblance of control, I gently cover the croc's eyes to keep it calm.

Taking a quick rest as Bart keeps a watchful eye in the background.
The tail of crocodiles, caimans, and alligators is solid muscle.  They use this muscular appendage to power themselves, capable of reaching 11 miles per hour on land and up to 30 miles per hour in water!  The tail also provides tremendous torque when the animal twists around to free itself.  I almost lost control!

The massive tail whips around, ripping the croc out of my grip!
BAM!!! I have no choice but to pin the croc with my body. Notice the giant saltwater croc in the enclosure behind me. She's 12-feet long and could easily rip off my leg with her jaws. Luckily for the fence, that didn't happen.

Here's some footage of the struggle. Check it out!



(The squawking in the background are macaws and cockatoos.)

I try again, knowing the full power of this "small" croc.

I make sure to control the tail with my feet and cover the eyes with my hand.

I gently secure the neck and head, while keeping control with my feet.

Up we go!

Almost there!
YES! After struggling to secure the animal, we're ready for transport!

At the end of the day, the safety and health of the animal is our top priority.  Even though the handling may seem invasive, it's a standard practice for securing large reptiles. Jarrod, Bart, and I take the handling of the zoo's animals very seriously and go to great lengths to ensure the safety and well-being of each animal.

I love crocs!


No comments:

Post a Comment